Friday, March 23, 2007

STEVE ROCK: SXSW Photos & Recap

I was only in Austin for a day and a half, so I didn't see and do nearly as much as I did last year, but here is some of what I did manage to see...

On Friday night Prisonshake played the Blender Bar, and we found ourselves sandwiched on the bill between two modern garage bands from Boston, Muck & The Mires and the Downbeat 5, respectively. Both bands were full of very nice people who all delivered the live rocking goods.

Muck & The Mires









The Downbeat 5

















Aussie legends The Hoodoo Gurus were also on our bill, and are as great a live band now as they were 20 years ago.

Head Guru Dave Falkner.














After our set I ran over to the Hilton and caught Chris Stamey & Peter Holsapple.




Me & my old pal Peter Holsapple, seconds before he hit the stage.
















Old Cicero's doormen reunion: Doug Enkler & the legendary Jim Utz, at the Twangfest/KDHX Party.










Detroit's Deadstring Bros. rocked inside at Jovita's like a motherfucker. Imagine the Stones doing a whole set of "Tumbling Dice" and you kinda get the idea. A tremendous rock band.


The Figgs were far and away the best rock band I saw in Austin. A riveting, well-oiled, and truly inspiring live band!

Figgs bass god Pete Donnelly. I bow at his feet in total awe...

My St. Louis and Undertow homies Waterloo, at Jovita's.


Graham Parker tore the roof off Jovita's for three songs with The Figgs.

Old mates: Doug Enkler & Graham Parker.

Murph of Sloan, trying to "book some studio time" at the close of David Cross' party at Red 7 Patio.

Doug Enkler & me, Target parking lot, Austin. Don't ask...

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

And to think 20 yrs ago--you told me that you would never pick up the bass again....

Liar!

I am so happy for you.

steve scariano said...

Well at that exact snapshot in time so long ago, raising wine glasses with you was a hell of a lot easier on my soul & psyche than getting my ass into another stupid rock band... :)

Hon Don Gerard said...

Stephanie -

I will never pick up Steve's bass again.

- Don

P.S. Check back in 20 years.