Tuesday, November 07, 2006

POLITICS: My Vote...

My polling place on Juniata in South St. Louis was hopping with a lot of people when I went in to vote at 7am, but I was in and out in about 7 minutes. I stayed as far away from the wicked touch screen machines as I could, and went with the paper ballot option. This time out that option was a giant sheet that reminded me somewhat of how the SAT test looked back in the stoneage when I took it. You had to completely fill in the oval with ink next to the candidate's name or the yes or no choice for the initiatives. I liked that, again more like high school, and no hanging chads. Then instead of dropping it into a big locked box like normal, you had to put it into a slot that sucked it into a "machine". My heart sunk a little as next to that slot I saw in big bold letters the word: DIEBOLD. I thought to myself, "Gee, this thing sure looks like a big selective paper shredder..." And who can say it isn't?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your place was anything like my place, the paper ballot scanner was connected to the same computer as the touchscreens. It's all part of the same system.

-joe

Anonymous said...

If your place was anything like my place, the paper ballot scanner was connected to the same computer as the touchscreens. It's all part of the same system.

-joe

Anonymous said...

we used the same paper ballots when absentee voting a week or so ago,--before going to Maui!
haven't seen any wowie stands yet, still looking.

-john

Anonymous said...

I breezed in and out with no waiting. If I'd chosen electronic voting, I imagine I'd STILL be there. Like Mark said, "imagine standing in line at Dierbergs behind an infinite line of old people all digging out change from their change purse, one coin at a time" which, incidentally, will most CERTAINLY be *MY* personalized version of Hell. And, since my polling place was a senior home, I knew full well that all the residents will have voted by 10 AM at the VERY VERY LATEST, having stood in line for at least an hour before the polls opened.
-Happy Talk